One of the most insidious things about carbon monoxide exposure is that things that you rely on everyday can turn deadly if not properly cared for. In particular, gas appliances should be serviced on a yearly basis by a qualified service technician. For instance, stove burners may need to be cleaned and adjusted. Similarly, gas furnaces and gas fireplaces should be serviced as well.
Also, proper ventilation is critical to prevent CO buildup. This is the case for stoves, furnaces and fireplaces. You should be extremely careful about making any changes to your homes ventilation systems. If you are concerned that your home may have a problem with CO, a trained HVAC contractor will usually be able to inspect your home and identify problems.
Finally, make sure to have at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. This detector should be monitored occasionally to see that its batteries are in working order.