Unfortunately, glaucoma is tragic condition that still has no cure. January has been designated as national glaucoma awareness month. Some troubling facts about the disease from glaucoma.org:
- Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness in the world
- Over 2.7 million Americans suffer from glaucoma
- Risk factors include:
- People of African, Asian and Hispanic descent,
- People over 60,
- Those with a family history of glaucoma,
- Individuals suffering from diabetes, and
- People who are severely nearsighted.
Most importantly, the early stages of glaucoma have virtually no symptoms and once vision is lost, it is permanent. The best way to protect your sight from glaucoma is to get a comprehensive eye examination. If it has been some time since you had your eyes examined, make January the month you do it.