Over the past several months, the country has faced some truly brutal weather. As I was talking with a client who was still without power from a recent ice storm, I was troubled by the measures she was going through to stay warm. Because her heater was tied to her electricity, she had been running her gas stove more to stay warm.
According to the Centers for Disease Control that more than 400 Americans die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning. As we struggle to stay warm this winter, it is important to remember to take precautions against exposure to carbon monoxide. Here are a few tips to avoiding exposure:
- Don’t use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home or garage.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Don’t leave an engine running inside a garage, even if the doors are open.
- Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
- On the outside of your home, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Store gasoline in a well-ventilated area.
- Be aware of idling vehicles in attached garages; carbon monoxide can travel through vents and into a home very quickly.