Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Memphis
Call Our Relentless Attorneys: (901) 209-5500
When it comes to obtaining services from a medical professional or group of healthcare professionals, many people put much of their trust in the hands of nurses, surgeons, and doctors. Still, medical errors occur every day, many of which are to the fault of negligent, careless, and reckless healthcare professionals. Unfortunately, when negligence occurs, patients can be left with lifelong damages, expensive medical bills, lost wages, and, in general, a less enjoyable future.
At Donati Law, PLLC, our Memphis medical negligence lawyers are dedicated to fighting for the rights of individuals harmed by doctors, nurses, surgeons, and other medical professionals that do not abide by safety standards or perform their duties adequately or safely. If you or someone you love has suffered injuries or pain due to medical malpractice, contact our legal team right away.
We can provide you with the following:
- A legal team backed by more than 150 years of collective experience
- A legal team made up of family members who are ready to treat you like our own
- A team backed by successful results
Common Medical Malpractice Errors
Many errors can occur when an individual undergoes diagnosis procedures, surgical procedures, and other medical processes. Unfortunately, some of the most common types of medical malpractice errors include but are not limited to the following:
- Failure or delay in diagnosis of a patient’s illness - This occurs when a physician or doctor fails to diagnose or misdiagnose a patient’s condition.
- Misinterpreted x-rays - Radiologists may misinterpret an X-ray, mammogram, CT or CAT scan, MRI, or ultrasound.
- Incorrect medications/treatments - When a doctor prescribes the wrong treatment, the underlying condition often does not get addressed. The condition can get worse, perhaps to the point that it becomes untreatable. Improper treatment can also result in dangerous drug side effects.
- Performing practice without the patient’s consent - This when a doctor fails to obtain informed consent for non-emergency treatment.
- Mistake during surgery - These mistakes could be cutting a nerve during the surgery, making an anesthesia error, cutting the wrong location, operating on the wrong body part, or leaving a sponge or instrument inside the body.
- Errors made during childbirth - These error include improper fetal monitoring, failure to take immediate action when problems arise, incorrect medication administration, and failure to timely perform c-sections.
Compensation Medical Malpractice Victims Can Pursue
Medical malpractices can alter a person’s life physically, emotionally, and financially. For this reason, medical negligence victims or their families may be able to pursue monetary compensation for the following damages:
- Medical costs
- Physical therapy expenses
- Physical pain
- Emotional distresses
- Lost wages
- Disfigurement or deformity
- Punitive damages
Believe You Have a Medical Negligence Case? Call Us Today.
If you or someone you love sustained injuries, pain, or lifelong consequences and believe a medical professional, hospital, or other healthcare-related person or entity should be held liable, get in touch with our Memphis medical malpractice lawyers as soon as possible. We can examine your condition and the details of your situation to determine which legal strategies can help you pursue compensation in the shortest amount of time. At Donati Law, PLLC, we believe no person deserves to suffer pain or any other consequence due to another person’s mistake or negligence, and that is why we are here.
We have experience handling all types of injury claims and are ready to help you.
Medical Malpractice FAQ
Who Can Be Liable for Medical Malpractice?
Medical professionals and/or facilities can be sued for medical malpractice. Depending on how the malpractice occurred, an individual, such as a doctor, or a facility, such as a hospital or clinic, might be held legally liable.
Examples of medical professionals who may be held liable for medical malpractice include:
As long as you can prove that you had an established doctor-patient relationship with either the person or facility responsible for the malpractice—and that the medical error was caused due to a failure to adhere to the standard of care—then you can file a claim against the person or entity responsible.
Are Nursing Home Injury & Abuse Cases Considered Medical Malpractice?
A nursing home abuse or neglect case may be considered “medical malpractice” if the source of the injury or other harm was due to a medical error. For example, if your loved one was living in a nursing home when given the wrong dose of a medication or kept in unsanitary conditions, you can sue for medical malpractice. However, these cases tend to be considered separate for the most part, despite the overlap.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available in a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
The state of Tennessee does not have a cap for economic damages that patients can recover due to medical malpractice; however, there is a cap on “pain and suffering” and other non economic damages. This cap is typically set at $750,000, although exceptions will be made for those who have suffered catastrophic injuries (such as paralysis or loss of limb).
Damages that are available in a Tennessee medical malpractice lawsuit include:
- All medical expenses, past and future, related to your treatment (including surgeries, hospitalization, physical therapy, counseling, etc.)
- Lost wages/loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, in rare cases
However, the exact type of and amount in damages you will be eligible for will depend on the specific facts of your unique case. Contact an attorney to learn more.
Call the team that is backed by more than 150 years of collective legal experience. We are ready to put experience and knowledge on your side of the courtroom.